Monday, June 2, 2014

Biriyani or Tomato Rice ?



Last week, I had to work for long hours in the office, it was literally like having short break between shifts! Adding to these hectic activities was the super fantastic heat weather which poured some poison into my sleep. 

Finally it was Saturday, a much needed break. At 7 PM I took my bike to home, then I realised there is no one in home and I had to take my food outside or prepare something. Cooking was out of question as I was already exhausted. 

Crossing Ashok Pillar, I thought try briyani, there was a shop called Ammi’s, but I said to myself to try Buhari. Earlier some months before I had a worst experience of having a veg briyani there, but that was during closing hours- 11 PM. As, it was a prime time now- 8 PM, I thought to give another shot.

Into Buhari. The guy who was sitting opposite to me was eating briyani as if he hadn't had one for long time. After glancing the menu, I couldn't stop ordering a chicken briyani. With in few minutes, I got a briyani, with a small brinjal curry and raitha. The colour looked good, which was the only goodness I experienced that day. Everything else was bad, rather say worst, starting from customer service to food.

As it was prime time, the waiters were more concentrating on the families\groups, which was bulk orders, certainly they didn't like single customer like me!. Back to the briyani, there was no smell of it. The briyani looked like a plain tomato rice with some chilli powder (I remembered the Goundamani-Sathyaraj joke). Chicken was overcooked or might be leftover from afternoon!. There was no masala and lack of salt. Raitha, it was like buttermilk and onion, not even curd!. I asked the waiter did he by mistake gave me something other than briyani. He said its freshly made and its served to all. I thought is my taste buds dead or the people around me are just pretending because of the brand-name!.

Just to fill my stomach I finished it. I was planning to have a mini-faluda, but the waiter without asking for any further order came with the bill!. Super customer-service. I thought after the briyani disaster, maybe the gods doesn't want me to taste the would-be horrible faluda. Rs. 182 for a chicken briyani. I gave Rs. 200. The waiter came back with Rs. 15. I asked him “Its Rs 3 less?”. He said “Change elle sir!”. I said “Keep it as your tip”.

Escape.

** The best briyani I had in Chennai is ___ . No, I wont say it here. Will share it on another good time.

2 comments:

  1. Lolz!!! Ordered Buhari veg biriyani at home once. I can relate to that watery raita really well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bhushavali Thanks for the read.

      May be they were short of curd!

      Delete