Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Marriage = Know Your Relatives



Last week I had to travel for a relative’ marriage. After become alienated from the hometown, I lost touch with most of my relatives. I wasn't even aware whether I was from the bride or groom-side. 

This was not a distant relative, but still I was not in touch with them. I didn't feel bad, because as I didn't attempt to communicate with them and neither they did!. While talking with one of my uncle he said “Our generation is gone, it’s time for you guys to get to know each other. You young people had to make an attempt to ‘Know-Your-Relatives’”. Later, I felt what he said was correct, but then how to connect with them ?. The first thing which comes to my mind now is Facebook ?. I have few relatives in my friends list, but they seldom message me or they are not active in FB. Even if some does, after initial “Hi.. How are you?”, I don't find anything to ask ?. I feel phone is the best way. Make a list and call them once-in-a-while.

The above paragraph was not intended to this post, but it just came out well. Back to the marriage hall. 

The stage was super-decorated. They used this fancy umbrella lights. Big TV’s were kept with live editing. Nadaswaram and Thavil guys were playing some beautiful carnatic songs. I like carnatic songs, not for the bhakthi involved in it, but for its instrumental. 

11:00 AM to 12:30 PM was the mughurtham time, now the time was 12:45 PM, way past the auspicious hour, but still the sastrigal was making the bride & groom to play with the color-color-rice. This is when the nadaswaram guy started Endaro Mahanubavulu, except me no one really cared a damn about their music. I was enjoying the song and thought no one should sound “ketti melam.. ketti mellam” from the stage. Fortunately, the sashtrigal should have read my mind voice. After the song was done, then they showed the ketti melam signal (like an “out” signal by Cricket umpire). I couldn't throw (is it the apt word!) the akshadai because the stage was too far, so I throwed it on the nearby TV itself!.

Thavil & TV
Then the photo session. The line grew large with people standing with moi covers and gifts. Give those to the bride or groom, shake hands with them, take a picture (which is important) with a customary smile and then head to the dining hall. 

Marriage is a social gathering to know your relatives or is there more than that? There is lot more to write about marriage, let me find another occasion.



No comments:

Post a Comment