Monday, September 14, 2015

Vikram - Revisiting Tamil Films 9



When the techno music started to play in my play list, I thought I hadn’t seen this film for a long time. As usual of any Kamal film, I keep seeing in the forums about this film, they term it as “far ahead film”. 

A very distant memory of mine said that I had seen this film while it was released; my mom confirmed that she took me while I was a small boy. It stuck me- I was a Rajinikanth fan then, so I didn’t like Vikram even a wee bit and also I didn’t understand. Now seeing it for the second time after so many years, I still didn’t like this film, even after understanding what is meant by “Onboard computer”, “Password”, “Program”, “Inter Continental Ballistic Missile”. I guess these terms make this film as “far ahead film” and not the film as such.

I was particular to see (hear) the dialogues of Sujatha, but not much either, as the 1/4th of the film was in a fictional Salamia language!. The first 1/4th of the film was serious, and then latter it got completely changed into a B-grade James Bond spoof film. Sujatha proficiency in this film was only to add a new word to the Tamil lexicon – “Villaimagalin Payan”.

Every character went over board or too dramatic, except Sugirdharaja (Sathyaraj), because he is villain- he can go overboard and he got to. Mr. Rao (Or fondly called as Rayan by Sugirdharaja) is too innocent to be chief of Central Intelligence. Thangaraj (Ragavendra) is too modest to ride a bicycle (Oh, 1986, but he can still have the uncle's Bajaj Chetak). V K Ramaswamy, as a minister (must be Defense or Home minster) was too unintelligent to differentiate between a nuclear arsenal and Sivakasi cracker!. Vikram (Kamal) was more arrogant or to be precise he was like a “arrogant kid” first and in the later half I guess he fell for Dimple Kapadia (off screen!)

I thought Sriharikota was to be satellite launching station. Mr. Agni Putra was a laughing stock. How can they transport a missile and its nuclear device in the same vehicle, all ready to launch!. There is no GPS system for Mr. Agni Putra, but once it is launched they can track it (The final scene when kapal and Rao see in the monitor). Here in this scene, if Illayaraja hadn’t played the “relief” background music, we couldn’t have comprehended what is going on. And those Salamia guards, uffff, even Ommakutchi Narashiman would have kicked them to their grave.

Few likable- Songs and its lyrics. The title song picturisation.

Check its Wikipedia page. Someone had narrated the story better than the film.

Other Tamil films you might be interested from this "Revisiting" series- Manal Kayaru, May Madham, Taj Mahal, Baasha, MMKR, Hey Ram, Sabapathy, Raja Paarvai.

**Above pic a snapshot from the film. Design cut-paste by the blogger



No comments:

Post a Comment