Friday, November 8, 2013

To Let or not to let


Relocating home can be a daunting task, but before you decide to move, there is another Herculean, Gondodaran, Kumbakarnan... task- which is to find a right house, especially in big city like Chennai.
I'm a guy who chose things in a matter of few minutes, who doesn't research a lot, I just go by the gut feeling, instantly picking things and never regret later, no matter if it's good or bad.
Last time I moved a few years before, we saw two houses and picked one. This time, it was on and on and on...10 houses, it is like a marathon run.
The word started to spread that our present house owner had sold this house and we (3 tenants) had to vacate the house. Starting from the paperboy, grocery store anachi, vegetable vendor- all wanted us to look for home in the same neighborhood, as they don't want to lose a customer!
Now, let's jump into some house-seeing-episodes.
  1. One owner even before letting us inside the vacant house asked me- where I work and where is the office. Then he continued by partially hearing my reply; oh so long, ok ok, I think your company will provide you bus, I see a lot now-a-days. I politely replied, no sir that is a different company.
  2. In another house, which was in the first floor, we climbed the stairs and before realizing where we are, we were standing in the living room !!. I asked the broker, where is the main door to this house. He pointed out to a grill gate! and said “Sir, this is the main door!!”.
  3. There was this smart landlady. I asked is it a two-bedroom house ?, she replied “ There is a big hall and one room, so you can use the big hall as another room”, I - ahhh what !!!
  4. There is no sense of architecture or planning in most of the houses. In one house, which was 2BHK, there was no window in any room, including the kitchen!! Most of the house owners don't care a damn about the bike and car parking. Their standard answer to this query- Just leave it in the street!!
  5. Another house, I saw a pinnacle of interior architecture, a bathroom is attached to the living room, ok fine, no problem, as it was in a corner, but when I looked up, there is only one ventilation for the bathroom, which is facing the living room!! Yack!!

Finally the EB bill, 6 Rs/unit… 8 Rs/unit, as if they are generating the power. My average consumption is 150 unit/cycle, normal govt.  rate I would pay Rs. 230, if it is Rs 6/unit, then I had to pay Rs 900 !. Daylight robbers.
Share your experiences here.


No comments:

Post a Comment