Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I struggled but I overcame - School to College


School to college, college to work, work to family life (so how it is perceived). These are the transitional phases in a conventional men (women) life. Even though I don’t believe in this format, we are pushed or cornered to do it. There is always an obstacle or adversity in these transitions.

Al though, I jumped many schools in different towns, I had a very good and enjoyable school life. After 10th, I asked my mom to put me in a government school. I knew I’ll get that same 50-55% mark in government school, which I used to get in the matriculation school. The syllabus was same (11th and 12th) in matriculation and government schools, so why to spend unnecessary tuition fees. (Even now she won’t agree with my theory). All went well.

Engineering was not my choice. I didn’t even consider MBBS on my radar. I was then abruptly put in a polytechnic college, worst I was in direct 2nd year. I was like a zebra, dropped in the middle of wild buffalo herd. A senior and neighbor, who walked the same path earlier said to complete the Diploma and join BE 2nd year! I thought that will be gruesome. 

Humanities were (is) my favorite, "history padicha tea athaara vellai than kedaikum", "BA padicha bench’u thaan thodaikanum". My mom never took my proposal to learn history seriously!

Every subject was tough. The college was a mixer of people from different states (Karnataka, TN and AP). I wasn’t bullied. There was no ragging. I still felt this is not for me. I needed to travel 80Kms every day to the college. I somehow managed to first six months (this is 3rd semester). I narrowly escaped attendance cutoff and was given the hall-ticket. Practical’s was the last exam, I struggled to control the 4-jack lathe, and I got worst threads on the iron rod. In the end, I decided this is enough and started to negotiate with my mom. But, she couldn’t understand (I now realize, how the external factors influence the parents).

Starting of 4th semester, the students (Engineering, polytechnic, arts & science) went on strike. Every glass window panes were broken; it was like a riot place. The college was closed for 15 days. By now, I lost interest even to walk into the college. I didn’t meet the attendance. I was not permitted to write 4th semester, but can appear for 3rd semester arrears. 

Every day, I used to discuss with my mom. She thought this will be my end of education (correct word will be life!). I tried to convince her that it was she who hastily put in something which I was never interested and nothing is going to happen, if I let go this and choose something which I’m interested. She asked a family friend to discuss with me. After talks, I put forward computer graduation. They agreed. (Humanities - always out of question and they would have never ever agreed). 

I later joined a different college, when on to complete my UG and PG with little up’s and down’s. That one year I struggled, still holds fresh and etched in my memory. Recollecting all these for “I struggled but overcame" series, which is held by The Chennai Bloggers Club (http://chennaibloggers.in/).

Did I struggle and did I really overcome!

My mom still asks, “What was the reason?” She still can’t understand, so I pass a smile and move on.

We don’t need a reason to do something in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment